I didn’t think there was going to be any hope for my early 2011 MacBook Pro, which had GPU-related problems after only about a year of use. The only obvious option I had was to buy a replacement laptop. But Apple seems to have been receiving a lot of reports that they’ve launched a repair progam that will fix the graphics problem for free.
If you bought a 15-inch or 17-inch MacBook Pro between early 2011 and end of 2013, as well as the first two generations of the Retina models, you’re in luck. The program became available to the US and Canada last February 20, and would be available to other countries by February 27.
These are the affected models:
- MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011)
- MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2011)
- MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2012)
- MacBook Pro (17-inch Early 2011)
- MacBook Pro (17-inch Late 2011)
- MacBook Pro (Retina, 15 inch, Early 2013)
Not sure if your model is included in the list of affected products? Use this Check your Coverage tool on the Apple Support site.